I always like to try new beauty products here and there throughout the year, but I tend to do a more substantial refresh of my makeup routine at the beginning of each season. With Spring comes such wonderful inspiration for makeup, and I especially love the shift towards fresh, glowing skin and bright, playful colours. Today, I want to share with you some new goodies which I’ve added to my beauty routine in the spirit of this lovely season!
- The first item is MAC’s Matte Lipstick in Mehr. I seriously can’t get enough of it! I bought Velvet Teddy a while ago because I was looking for a matte lipstick and there is a lot of hype right now about that one in particular. But I was a bit underwhelmed by it; I feel like it just doesn’t suit my skin tone and colouring (I’m fair-light with neutral undertones). Then I found Mehr and I just think it is the perfect shade for me. It has more of a pinky, mauvish tone than Velvet Teddy which is a pretty true neutral beige, so it brings out the colour in my face and doesn’t make me look washed out. I love the formula of these as well; it is super long-lasting and wears off pretty naturally throughout the day, although I will say it is a bit drying. Overall though, I love this shade and will definitely keep it in my routine well past Spring! $21 at MAC.
- Another item also from MAC is this new Eye Shadow in the shade Coral. It is a bright coral pink shade which looks gorgeous all over the lid as it’s own look, or in the crease as a transition colour. It is that perfect pop of colour for Spring! $8 at MAC.
- I am a huge fan of the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder, but I’d never gotten around to trying out the Ambient Lighting Blushes. I finally picked one up in the shade Luminous Flush and am (no surprise) really liking it. The formula is easy to use and blends out well. I can’t stand it when you just lightly touch your brush in a product and it still deposits way too much colour onto your cheek that won’t budge! Thankfully that’s not the story here – this one is definitely pigmented, but still looks like a softer, more natural glow which I love. I think I will be looking into some of the other colours to add to my collection! $45 at Sephora.
- Another mainstay addition to my routine is the Tarte Airbrush Finish Bamboo Foundation Brush. I typically use my Beauty Blender for my foundation or BB creams, but it does take longer than a brush and I find that it can pull away a lot of the coverage. So I decided to give this brush a try, and it was totally worth the purchase. I still love my Beauty Blender, but in the mornings when I’m in a hurry getting ready for work, this brush is a lifesaver. The bristles are beyond soft and it does a great job of blending out both heavier- and lighter-coverage foundations. $44 at Sephora.
- Fragrances are always so personal, but if you’re looking for something light and fresh for Spring, I would definitely recommend taking a whiff of this Balenciaga B. perfume. It has a slightly sweet scent, yet still makes me feel feminine and sophisticated. $30 and up at Sephora.
- In terms of hair care, I’ve been really impressed with the L’Oréal EverPure Blonde Brass Banisher Shampoo and Rosemary Volume Conditioner. I’ve been using this combination for the past month or two and I have noticed such an improvement in the health of my hair as well as in the colour. Previously I had done a box-dye over highlights to go more towards my natural colour of dirty blonde, which left my hair looking dull and murky (do not recommend). While giving my hair a break before going to get it fixed, I was using this combination and it definitely brightened up my colour and took a lot of that dullness away. After my hair was coloured AGAIN (I’m back to lighter blonde now), it was understandably super damaged, but even in just one or two washes I saw a big improvement in the texture and health of my hair from using these. It just goes to show that you don’t need to spend a ton on ‘salon-quality’ products to get results, and for me these two really work! ~$10 at your local drugstore.
- The last item is a new skincare find from AmorePacific and it is their Treatment Enzyme Peel. Winter always wreaks havoc on my skin, and so I really needed something to help get rid of a few dry patches and some dullness caused by all the wind and cold. So far, so good – after only a couple tries it’s definitely helped to brighten my overall complexion and my skin tone looks more even. A tip my sister taught me is that it can also be used as a mask, if you use a little less of the product and let it sit on your face for about 10 to 20 minutes. $72 at Sephora.
So that is my makeup, hair, and skin care update for Spring. I hope you enjoyed reading and I’ll talk to you soon!